August 27, 2020
Meet our Property Managers
Working her way up from an assistant to becoming a Property Manager, Jamie Hatswell’s passion for people and service has led her to being awarded this year’s Toop&Toop Excellence Award for Property Management.
1. How did you first begin your journey in Property Management?
Towards the end of high school, I realised university wasn’t for me. I wasn’t interested in spending another three years studying while working a part-time job, so I started looking for a role that I could enjoy doing long-term.
I have always looked up to my aunty who works in sales. She’s great with people and loves her job. I inquired with her to see if any positions were going (for example, assistant, intern-type work to get my foot in the door). At the time, there wasn’t, but there was a position going in Property Management. I started assisting other Property Managers then soon fell in love with the work and wanted to become more involved with the role. Five years on, I’m a Property Manager looking after a portfolio of 112.
2. What's your favourite thing about Property Management?
I love helping people find their new ‘home’ to start their next chapter. I also enjoy looking after their biggest assets and investments to ensure they get their highest return.
I am also very much a people person and like knowing they trust me to take care of things from A to Z.
3. Tell us about your your role as a Property Manager at Toop&Toop?
I work as a traditional Property Manager, so I take care of everything for clients from start to finish. I manage homes in the north and north-eastern suburbs (from Munno Para to Klemzig).
My favourite things about these areas is the affordability, lifestyle and accessibility. You can still have a nice three or four-bedroom home, low-maintenance yard and be within proximity to the city, beach and local shopping centres without the hefty price tag. There are lots of up-and-coming suburbs like Penfield, Gawler, Playford, Angle Vale and Northgate that are becoming quite popular with tenants and landlords.
4. What have you learned while working at Toop&Toop?
1. That technology and transparency is key and our customers love it.
2. How to navigate tricky situations while keeping both parties happy with a positive outcome.
3. Teamwork makes the dream work. Having a supportive community of other Property Managers has been great.
4. Communication is the biggest part of the job.